PHP Regular expression to identify a link from html

deane034

Hi,

I'm developing a wordpress theme, and I want to extract all the HTML Links (hrefs) with the extension of MP3 into my side bar. I know the wordpress functions to get posts, etc. What I want to know is how to use PHP regular expressions to get a link for an .mp3 that exist as a link from a string variable.

For example suppose the string is,

$mystring= "<p> Hello this is a WP post. <a href="somefile.mp3">Here is a link to mp3<a/> </p> ";

I want to be able to have a function which returns "somefile.mp3"

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to PHP regular expressions, Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Deane.

Using the alternation bar inside a character class will simply allow the 'bar' character to match in the pattern, I think you were either thinking of using a capture group with an alternation or a character class. I'd personally opt for something along the lines of...

~href=([\'"])([^\1 ]+\.mp3)\1~i

It uses back referencing to make sure the string delimiters of the href match. It will also cut out a bit sooner on hrefs that don't match since it will only match until it finds a space or the opening delimiter again. I believe technically an attribute doesn't require delimiters if it doesn't have spaces in it (which a URL obviously won't have), but I'm not entirely sure how you could accurately add that to the pattern, most people avoid that system anyway, so hopefully it's not a requirement.

Thanks to salathe for pointing out (via IRC) my, erm... deliberate mistake. That's what you get for posting before your morning coffee. A back reference can't be used in a character class. The \1 inside the character class actually represents the ascii character with the octal number 1 (SOH a control character), based on that it would perhaps make as much sense to simply use...

~href=([\'"])(\S+\.mp3)\1~i

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.