Bonus Question :P

tibberous

I got it!

I took the number an used base_convert($num, 10, 16) to get a series of 8 alpha-numeric characters. Then, I used windows calculator to convert them from base-16 to base-10 2 at a time to get base 256.

But, for some reason, the sets are backwords. I only found this out b/c I was playing with my ip address. So, basically, if you get:

You just make it:

So, I kind of solved it, but there is a lot more standard way that just involves modding and dividing. Does anyone know that way?

@Teddy:

It converts an ip address to a base-10 number, so converting back would be getting the original ip.

No. They just do the same thing. There's exactly one way to convert IP in form of four octets into a 32bit integer.

BTW: Make sure you use UNSIGNED INTEGER in MySQL for storing IPs.

[edit]

OC the second one is INET_ATON()

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.