crypt() in PHP 5.2.8 vs PHP 5.3.0

PP133

Those are very interesting results.  In 5.3 the only difference between each of the encrypted values is the salt itself.  All the values are "a".$i."Av8awQ0AsR6".  What that speaks to me is that there is no significance to the second digit.  Do non-special characters also end with Av8awQ0AsR6?  It might be the function was enhanced to only accept non-special characters.  I wonder what the source code says for the new function.

So I looked at the source code and I have an idea.  Why don't you take the crypt.c file from the 5.2 source, overwrite the file in the 5.3 and compile?  Boom- you have the function you need in the distro you want.  It is located in the \ext\standard directory.  *I have not tested this solution, would recommend getting input from someone else before trying.

Zend wouldn't like it, As you're re-implementing crypt's initiation handler. zm_shutdown_basic and zm_shutdown_crypt are deprecated and removed in PHP 5.3.2.

It would require patching much more than what is viable, as it'd take deconstruction of some of the engine's functions breaking more.

Those are very interesting results.  In 5.3 the only difference between each of the encrypted values is the salt itself.  All the values are "a".$i."Av8awQ0AsR6".  What that speaks to me is that there is no significance to the second digit.  Do non-special characters also end with Av8awQ0AsR6?  It might be the function was enhanced to only accept non-special characters.  I wonder what the source code says for the new function.

Yeah, I think the reason that it doesn't change is because, like the PHP bug guy stated, the salt should only be alpha-numeric, otherwise it's uncharted waters.  Not to get off on a tangent but in my opinion, if it's not supported, PHP should throw a warning at least, something like "Chosen salt not supported for Standard DES encryption.  Results may be unpredictable."

Here's a snippet of the output of the code in 5.3.0 with an alpha-numeric second character in the salt:

DES encryption (salt = a0) = a09mPwXifImcU
DES encryption (salt = a1) = a1Ve8Cgz9o7Bc
DES encryption (salt = a2) = a2MEKOIcmCijA
DES encryption (salt = a3) = a3kDUCoB00OaQ
DES encryption (salt = a4) = a4sLkn7C9GP12
DES encryption (salt = a5) = a5tPhn96BI7cI
DES encryption (salt = a6) = a6Q7dXXzwkivs
DES encryption (salt = a7) = a7NZDJAHCF5tc
DES encryption (salt = a8) = a8dzXozHYPd32
DES encryption (salt = a9) = a9CJ6HTSDXmf.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.