Variable does not want to work

davidx714

Hello everyone. I am trying to learn PHP and I am stuck.

I have a text file that has the numbers 1 through 9, each listed on its own line. I want to read each line of the file, and write it to a new text file UNLESS one of the numbers is passed through the URL.

So for example, if the url variable is 8, then it will read the first file and write

To the second file.

Here is what I got:

<?php

$linknum = $_GET['linknum'];

//----This works if $xx = 8;

//$xx = 8;

//----but it does not work if $xx = $linknum;

$xx = $linknum;

$data = file ("Source_file.txt");

$b = fopen("New_File.txt", "w+");

foreach ($data as $zz) {

if ($zz != $xx){

fwrite($b, $zz);

}

}

?>

Please help me!

On second look, nevermind. I see you're simply passing the value in the URL. I just changed it a little to read the values from an an array, and then echo the result instead of writing a file and tested it locally, and it seems to work just fine.

I just figured out what is going on here. If you typecast the $xx variable as an integer when you assign its value from $linknum, it works just fine. I also made the code a little more compact by eliminating redundancy in assigning values to variables.

<?php
$xx = (int) $_GET['linknum']; // typecast as an integer here, now the != comparison works when value is passed via URL.
$data = file ("Source_file.txt");
$b = fopen("New_File.txt", "w+");
foreach ($data as $zz) {
if ($zz != $xx){
	fwrite($b, $zz);
}
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.