Galvanized Steel

seventheyejosh

Hey all, quick question. I'm building a firepit, which will be partially underground, and brought above ground with bricks and mortar, and capped with flagstone. I want to put a liner inside so it doesn't destroy the bricks. I found someone on craigslist selling grain bin panels for 20 bucks a pop and that seemed like it might do the trick. They are 8'*3'. My question is, will having a fire in this, should I go this route, cause any adverse health effects? If so would they be circumventable by merely having a big ass first fire and keeping people away, to burn off the coating? Is that even possible?

I only ask here because google yields mixed results from random 'authorities', and I figure at least one of you is good at science and such.

Thanks!

- Josh

Pseudo Edit: Something like this: http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/images/handbook/sept07/firepit-0907-09.jpg

I've no experience with building fire pits, but one thing I can tell you is, if the steel was not prepared to be used in high temperature and in contact with flame, it will corrode really quickly.

Junkyard.  best bet would be cast iron.  Also, look at a metal recycle shop (someplace you take aluminum or other metals and get cash)--they usually have used steel.  (iron has a better price per pound) and there is no reason to use steel, the only time you would want steel is if you wanted it to keep its shape over time, such as a tool.  I *attempted* to blacksmith once, but never got the project off the ground.

Oh!  I just remembered, the best bet is actually ceramic.  It has a modular design (buy it like tiles), low cost, and insulates heat.  You don't have to worry about chemicals, and you could cook on it.  Call up home depot and ask them about fire safe ceramic

I second that, I used some old ceramic segments to build the edge of a firepit I made back at my old house, It was pretty nice for gatherings. There's nothing worse than blackened hot steel. :-\

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.