any webhost you know for $2 to $3 a month?

xcoderx

You are completely wrong on most ISPs letting you run a server unless you pay their extra fees.  Cox and Verizon both prohibit use of using their internet as a server unless you pay an extra 40$ or so a month, unless of course, you don't consider Cox and Verizon as big ISPs.

I've got a server running on Comcast, total bill is 25/mo (too bad introductory) and my IP never changes.

Oh, and my free hosts are zymic.com and 000webhost.com

Zymic doesn't support any smtp (ie mail) but otherwise gets the job done.

000webhost.com is pretty darn good. 1.5G , and they let you do Cron.  (although all the mail goes to junk anyway)

I am always finding deficiencies with free hosts.  I can't seem to get PEAR to work on any of them, and Always am running into stuff I want to recompile PHP for, but can't do it on a shared host in general.  Get yourself big enough to get a VPS, until then just try out some free hosts, because there really is no reason to pay for hosting at that level.  You really don't get anything extra that you will feel that you are investing your money wisely.

No, it would be pretty fucked up if Comcast tried changing the internet protocol.

They did remove the TCP and put in Comcast Proprietary Protocol, but GNU tried to claim rights to CPP  :-\

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.