Return 7 rows ALWAYS

The Little Guy

I have a table that has a column that has the week day (Sunday - Saturday). I have a query, and I ALWAYS want it to return 7 rows (Sunday - Saturday).

SELECT COUNT(*) as total, weekDay FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '1' GROUP BY weekDay

if the column total doesn't have anything I want it to say 0, otherwise put the total...

Does this make sense?

LIMIT 7 wont work.

Currently my table has 4 values in it, all are "Sunday" (today). I want to return "Monday", "Tuesday", etc. but those days are not in there.

Right now it returns this:

total    weekDay

4        Sunday

I would like it to return this:

total    weekDay

4        Sunday

0        Monday

0        Tuesday

0        Wednesday

0        Thursday

0        Friday

0        Saturday

does that make better sense? total will change weekDay will not, but there will ALWAYS be those seven thing returned. Possible?

if the column total doesn't have anything I want it to say 0, otherwise put the total...

So write that logic into your loop while your outputting the results. Nothing to do with mysql.

You're trying to select something that's not there?

You just need to join in a derived table that contains one row for each required date.  Either use an integers table to generate it, or just UNION 7 records.

Thanks Fenway!

SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Sunday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Sunday'
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Monday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Monday'
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Tuesday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Tuesday'
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Wednesday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Wednesday'
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Thursday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Thursday'
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Friday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Friday'
UNION
SELECT COUNT(*) as total, 'Saturday' as lbl FROM sts_cal WHERE pid = '{$this->pid}' AND weekDay = 'Saturday'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.