thoughts about the ip addresses and coming shortages

basireid

a few days ago, i read online somewhere about the coming shortage of available ip addresses

as i did some searching at the time regarding a php file i was working on, for a fun project, and to learn, i made a file that generates random ip addresses, to then click on...

anyway, the numbers are in groups of four and only go as high as 255...

does anyone know more as to why they only go so high? at the time, years ago, they must have figured there would be plenty, until the development of handheld devices that also use ip addresses...

so my question, why not drop the limit of 255 for each subgroup and go higher, even to 999?

maybe there are some here who will decipher what i am trying to say here

and for the code i worked out, i am still not sure what forum section to post it under

thanks for the time and for the forum, too much to read here and not enough time

Because you can only address 256 different integers using 1 byte. You have 4 byte = 32 bits, which gives you 232 = 4,294,967,296 different IP addresses. Some of the ranges are reserved, so the actual number is lower.

Edit: Fixed typo pointed out by Philip.

Because you can only address 265 different integers using 1 byte. You have 4 byte = 32 bits, which gives you 232 = 4,294,967,296 different IP addresses. Some of the ranges are reserved, so the actual number is lower.

Err 256*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.