how to learn php

runeveryday

How I've learned both ASP, and PHP was simple.  Find something you want to code that is fairly simple, like... creating a form, and writing that information to MySQL.  You then google something like "Php forms" and read about it.  Then google "php writing to mysql".  Most of which I would copy someone else's code until I found a code that actually worked.  I looked up all the commands they use so I can understand what they are doing.

Eventually, I did it enough times that I knew what to code when and where.  Granted, I'm still learning PHP, but I can code just enough to make a decent website.  Now, when I have a problem that I just can't figure out, I turn to the guru's on this website and they have almost ALWAYS come through for me.  It's truly amazing how helpful people are here.

How I've learned both ASP, and PHP was simple.  Find something you want to code that is fairly simple, like... creating a form, and writing that information to MySQL.  You then google something like "Php forms" and read about it.  Then google "php writing to mysql".  Most of which I would copy someone else's code until I found a code that actually worked.  I looked up all the commands they use so I can understand what they are doing.

Eventually, I did it enough times that I knew what to code when and where.  Granted, I'm still learning PHP, but I can code just enough to make a decent website.  Now, when I have a problem that I just can't figure out, I turn to the guru's on this website and they have almost ALWAYS come through for me.  It's truly amazing how helpful people are here.

I first started with _POST then _GET, I know a bunch of useful languages but I don't understand ASP, Lua, C++ and others like that.

I only did Classic ASP, not ASP.net.  ASP is very similiar to php (at least to me) except that ASP has MUCH less functionality and I presume some day that it will disappear.  ASP.Net is actually more different from Classic ASP than php is.

So the change wasn't that difficult.  Especially considering that ASP.net servers cost a lot more $$ to get when I can get a great php server for like $5 a month!

many thanks to you suggestions. your "Php forms" and "php writing to mysql". let me know a lot. any more details? thank you

Different people learn in different ways but I would suggest learning the basics, then moving onto more advanced stuff. You need to learn progressively in order to understand how things really work.

There is a free book in my signature (Hudzilla) that will guide you from simple beginnings to more complex topics. If you read that start to finish (without skipping ahead) you will surely be off to a good start.

Try www.tizag.com it has the fundamental basics on there. If your looking to read up and gauge an idea of how php works, you can also learn several other things there like css, mysql, javascript. All things your going to eventually need if your getting into web development.

thank you for all the tips, are there any other tips?

Build a page using the dynamic link method from scratch. Where you have one page and just include different material to be shown depending on the script. Once you wrap your head around that you'll get addicted like I did nearly 7 years ago and keep expanding as you need it or see something cool you want to do and then try to do it... but as always try building it... and when run it problems they'll point you here in the right direction.

I get up at 6am sharp. Sharp! Not 10 past or 20 past. I'm talking about 6am sharp! I set my alarm clock to ring out at about 5.50am, just to allow me ten minutes to gather energy and prepare myself for the learning that is about to take place. Once I get up, I drink 4-5 raw eggs, do 300 pushups and then do a few stretches. I then go for a jog, with my PHP tutorial book. While I'm jogging and jumping garden walls, I  constantly challenge myself. I mean, how do I create a user login system and jump over a garden fence at the same time?

the best way to learn is to write code. Remember that.

I suggest you make up a little project, a guestbook is good, and then read up on functions and tutorials and, as you progressively expand your knowledge, add functions using this knowledge into your little project. That's what i did first and now i can code php easily (although i'm not an expert in any sense)

I suggest you make up a little project, a guestbook is good, and then read up on functions and tutorials and, as you progressively expand your knowledge, add functions using this knowledge into your little project. That's what i did first and now i can code php easily (although i'm not an expert in any sense)

many many thanks to your tips. how to write a  guestbook , is there any tutorial you can give me. now, i can write php form,and insert the form data into a database and show them.

Like I said a few posts back. You really need to learn the basics first. Once you have, these questions like 'how do I make...' will become obsolete. Because you'll just need to think about what steps would need to be taken to create a guestbook. You'll already know how to do all the programming.

many many thanks to your tips. how to write a  guestbook , is there any tutorial you can give me. now, i can write php form,and insert the form data into a database and show them.

That is exactly what a guestbook does. If you can put data from a form into a database, and later show that information again, then you can create a guestbook.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.