Topic editing option

Hello,

I think that the topic/subject of a thread should always be editable by the original author ( perhaps not the entire message, but just the topic ) I did in fact read the note about you deleting/editing posts, and I agree with your reasoning. However, as a thread evolves, ( a well written topic ) may need updating.

For example, in this thread : http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,303661.0.html

As I did further research, it would seem the problem might be from the sending and not the receiving end. I could update the topic/subject so that is reflects the latest findings, this could be good for users who often do more research after posting a message to the boards.

The other option might be to give each post a topic, and show the last topic with the first topic in the forum view, this could be even better. This could give the forum list reader more information about the current position of the discussion.

Thanks,

David

Not sure a title for every post is needed, but I think it's a good suggestion being able to update the thread title. On the other hand though, half the time people post titles like "N00B IN NEED!!!" or something, I can't see them (or probably the greatest part of the user base) going to the effort of updating the title.

Question of whether the reward would actually justify the investment.

The suggestion you're suggesting assumes that someone is going to re-write the SMF code.  This forum is made by Simple Machines

Why not take it up with them... make a mod request or something.  Otherwise, say someone does make this modification; once SMF comes out with its next release, the mod will no longer work.  At which point this place and its staff would have to keep up with another mod.

Honestly though, I don't like the idea of a topic for every post.  It seems like it would be confusing and it really doesn't make any sense when you can just have one topic for all of them.

The suggestion you're suggesting assumes that someone is going to re-write the SMF code.  This forum is made by Simple Machines

Why not take it up with them... make a mod request or something.  Otherwise, say someone does make this modification; once SMF comes out with its next release, the mod will no longer work.  At which point this place and its staff would have to keep up with another mod.

Honestly though, I don't like the idea of a topic for every post.  It seems like it would be confusing and it really doesn't make any sense when you can just have one topic for all of them.

A title for each post is maybe a bit exagerated, but I think that the ability to modify the original topic would be good.

David

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.