people looking for phpmyadmin install

isedeasy

Is it normal to have somebody looking for a phpmyadmin install on a daily basis.

I am getting someone (through a script) search about 100 - 200 locations for a phpmyadmin install, I block the IP but within 10 -20 hours another IP will do the exact same thing.

Is this normal and do I have anything to worry about if they find my phpmyadmin install, obviously its password protected.

Can't say I have ever seen this in my logs, but it doesn't surprise me that people try it. I don't keep up with these things, but might be worth checking if there are any vulnerabilities for phpMyAdmin.

You're not the first person to ask about this. It's not that uncommon. As far as I'm aware the idea behind it is if you scan enough servers you will find somebody stupid enough to be using passwords that they can easily brute force/dictionary attack.

Is this normal and do I have anything to worry about if they find my phpmyadmin install, obviously its password protected.

Never install in a subfolder from a website. Put phpmyadmin on a domain that you do not use publically i.e

myadmin.somerandomdomainname.com

If you have a static IP then add to the allowed list in an .htaccess. Reject all others. Use htpasswd also.

If you have a static IP then add to the allowed list in an .htaccess. Reject all others. Use htpasswd also.

This seems like a good idea, I don't have a fixed IP but I think I may still add a .htaccess file. Just means I have to change my .htaccess file when my IP changes, I don't really use phpmyadmin very often.

Never install in a subfolder from a website. Put phpmyadmin on a domain that you do not use publically i.e

myadmin.somerandomdomainname.com

I agree. If you have an intranet, put it there, or install it locally only.

Can it be configured to connect to remote databases, then?

Can connect to any host. You would just have to first grant user privileges to the connecting IP address / hostname.

I would prefer to run on the actual database server for speed using a domain that is not used for any website.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.