SUM specific id's and all rows

tribol

i'm just trying to get the SUM of votes of two unique id's per query in one specific table. each contestant has three seperate posts that can be voted on and i figured this would do it, just wondering if it looks right.

//team 1
function totalVotesOne ($intTotalOneVotes) {
$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_one FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID='2093' AND bonusvotes_2010.contestantID='538' AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'";
$result=mysql_query($query);
$return mysql_num_rows($result);
}

//team two
function totalVotesTwo ($intTotalTwoVotes) {
$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_two FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID='5449' AND bonusvotes_2010.contestantID='2888' AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'";
}

//team three
function totalVotesThree ($intTotalThreeVotes) {
$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_three FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID='3460' AND bonusvotes_2010.contestantID='242' AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'";
}

Okay so I've edited the query's a little: (in functions.php)

//team one
function totalVotesOne ($intTotalOneVotes) {
$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_one FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID= IN ('2093,538') AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'";
return mysql_num_rows($result);
}

//team two
function totalVotesTwo ($intTotalTwoVotes) {
$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_two FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID= IN ('5449,2888') AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'";
}

//team three
function totalVotesThree ($intTotalThreeVotes) {
$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_three FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID= IN ('3460,242') AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'";
}

and i'm calling the results from my index.php with:

Current Total Votes:<?=$totalVotesOne?>
Current Total Votes:<?=$totalVotesTwo?>
Current Total Votes:<?=$totalVotesThree?>

But it's not giving me any results???

Don't get it

Current Total Votes:<?=totalVotesThree(1) ?>

But why are you passing a parameter to the function that you are not even utilizing? Your MySQL is also bad:

$query="SELECT SUM(totalvotes) as total_three FROM ".DB_DATABASE.".bonusvotes_2010 WHERE bonusvotes_2010.contestantID IN ('3460,242') AND bonusvotes_2010.status='Valid'"

(Removed the =)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.