extract() expects parameter 1 to be array, Help please

Namtip

I'm a newbie :shy:. I've been stuck on this error message for 2 days:

I get this error message: extract() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in C:\x\xampp\htdocs\user_personal.php on line 30

<?php
$query = 'SELECT
        about_me, job, hobbies, contact
    FROM
        site_user u JOIN
        site_user_profile p ON u.user_id = p.user_id
    WHERE
        username = "' . mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['username'], $db) . '"';
$result = mysql_query($query, $db) or die(mysql_error($db));
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
extract($row);
mysql_free_result($result);
mysql_close($db);
?>

I think joining table is hard, I just want to create a profile that would be linked to a user name. Please be my friend and help me so I can have PHP phun time.

The error means that your query matched zero rows (the WHERE clause was FALSE).

You should use mysql_num_rows() to find out if your query matched anything before you attempt to fetch and access the data.

As to why your query did not match anything, are you sure your $_SESSION variable contains what you expect? What do you get if you echo $query?

Thanks guys you're pros. Ah, there isn't any data for the database to retrieve. Could this be why the error message comes up? What should I enter into my code if I want it to display nothing without an error message?

This is what it said when I echo'd the query

SELECT about_me, job, hobbies, contact FROM site_user u JOIN site_user_profile p ON u.user_id = p.user_id WHERE username = "Russell"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.