Maximum cookie size?

dominod

Hi

I know that maximum size of one cookie is 4Kb.. That is kilobytes right? and not kilobit?

And a byte is 8 bits right?

So if I have "Hello" in my cookie thats 5 characters which means the cookie is 5 x 8 = 40 bit which is again 5 bytes (?). Does this mean that I can have a maximum of 4000 characters in my cookie? Or did I miss something here?

dont use sessions, a cookie is a high enough level interface.

but if you want to store variables in the cookie, i recomend, storing the variables server side, and the cookie can be a hash, or an id, to a row in a table, and read them off there....

this also allows data to be ip checked - stop cookie theives, 'cept for the ones in the same house.

dont use sessions, a cookie is a high enough level interface.

Why would you not want to use sessions? Just curious as to your logic behind that statement.

i recomend, storing the variables server side

You do realize that is what session data does...stores information on the server right?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.