Notice: Query failed

Daimler

Hi, i receive today a message from one of my users..i have a new kind of error on my website:

Notice: Query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE id=1' at line 1 SQL: UPDATE class_users SET WHERE id=1 in ../public_html/includes/classes/database/mysql.php on line 133

The line 133:

' SQL: '.$sql);

The code:

/**
    * Returns an instance of MySQLResult to fetch rows with
    * @param $sql string the database query to run
    * @return MySQLResult
    * @access public
    */
    function query($sql) {
        if (!$queryResource=mysql_query($sql,$this->dbConn))
            trigger_error ('Query failed: '.mysql_error($this->dbConn).
						' SQL: '.$sql);
	$this->counter++;
	$mysql = new MySQLResult($this,$queryResource);
        return $mysql;
    }

Please help :) Thanks

Read the error message: UPDATE class_users SET WHERE id=1. SET what WHERE id=1 ? There would have to be a variable that isn't getting a value assigned somewhere. The code you posted doesn't contain the actual query, so that's about as far as I can take it. On another note, you shouldn't let a mysql_error() message output to the browser on a live site. It gives potential hackers too much information.

Did your user copy/paste that error message to you in an email or did you pull it from the PHP error log? If a user sent it, that isn't even the code fragment causing the error, since it doesn't output the error message to the browser.

Ah, OK. I made the mistake of assuming the user had emailed the error to you.

That function uses trigger_error(), so the error wouldn't be output to the browser anyhow. As far as fixing it, you'd need to post the code that called the function when it produced the error. Were there any other errors in the log at the same time related to undefined variables or the like?

Tracking down the code that is producing the query doesn't actually have much to do with programming. It's kind of like trying to find your car in the mall parking lot. You just keep looking for cars that are the same make, model, and color of your car until you find the right one that your key works in.

You must use a programming editor (most have a search in file(s) option) to globally search through your files looking for calls to that query() function with a query that has the parts that were printed in the error message until you find the correct code.

Is this an open-source third-party script that you could share a link to the author's site (and a version number.) Perhaps someone could find the offending code for you.

You didn't post a link to the author's site, but if the script is this - http://www.68classifieds.com/pricing/ it's a purchased script, it's also likely encrypted, it comes with support, and there's not likely anything anyone here can do for you.

If that script is building an UPDATE query that doesn't properly make the SET x=y in it, you should take the issue up with the author of the script.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but since this mentions 68 Classifieds, I wanted to clarify a couple of things.

Firstly, thanks for your attempts to help this user. However, as PFMaBiSmAd pointed out, 68 Classifieds is a purchased script and we offer support to our customers. Unfortunately, this guy is using an outdated, warez copy of our script and won't receive support from us. That's why he's come here. Had he been a customer, this would've been resolved quickly.

Secondly, regarding encryption - our script includes only two files that are encrypted. These files handle licensing (so that we are able to dedicate our time supporting our legitimate customers).

Again - sorry for bumping an old thread but since this is out on the web, I wanted to add my two cents.  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.