Classes

doddsey_65

im currently doing a large php project and i am confident i can do it. Its a basic forum like phpbb or mybb where users can download the files and instal. however i have looked through their code and i see they use classes. I have never learned to do classes since i havent had to use them yet. should i be using them now for this project? do i need to? and if so then what are the benefits?

Hi there Doddsey_65,

Well, now is a good a time as any to invest some time in learning OOP, it's a real head bender though if you haven't done anything like it before, so start of simple and progress from there.  I must admit it took me a while to get into it, but really it depends on the project and whether you feel comfortable doing something new for such a large project.

What would be a good idea is to do it the way you feel confident, then get that into the public domain, then slowly start upgrading, then you can incrementally change it to a class driven project - coincidentally I am in the process of doing that now.

But we all work different, I depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Cheers,

Rw

thanks for the reply. I feel more confident without doing it and i am sure i can create the whole thing without them. I just thought since this will be open source when its done that most people would see the code and think me some sort of noob with the way it is written. ive got a few tabs open atm with OOP tutorials so i will start reading them anyway.

I agree with Pickachu, so long as the application functions and is secure & does everything as advertised, then you should be fine.  I am more or less doing the same thing as you but I have got the the point where I am trying to refine my class now; but only knowing the basics up to yet has done me no harm.

A decent php book will be my next acquisition - don't forget though that php4 & php5 handle classes in different ways, you can't mix them you just need to be aware of this before starting your project.

Cheers,

Jw 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.