Mail server is on web server

brianlange

I am moving to a configuration where the mail server is on the web server.  The server is fairly robust and there is a dedicated database server.

My website gets about 10k unique visitors and sends up to 500k non spam emails a day.  Am I going to run into issue by not having a dedicated mail server.

Even if performance is not a issue will I run into issue where an isp blocks the ip because it considers the mail spam. If Google or Yahoo were to block my ip could my search engine traffic be affected? Thanks in advance.

I don't see any issues. I don't think you will require a separate mailserver. Just make sure its setup properly.

You'll want to keep an eye on RBLs for your mail server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSBL

I don't forsee an ISP blocking your mail server, unless you are sending spam emails or if they hit a honeypot.

If you keep an eye on your mail.info log, you can see if emails are bounced back and if so, what message/error is bounced.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.