Performance Computer Hardware Advice or Reviews

blackcell

Hi ladies and gents,

I am getting ready to custom build another desktop computer for gaming performance. It has been about 6 years since I have been in the loop on preferred hardware such as video card, mobo, and such. I am not sure which sites to rely on reviews since there are sooooo many sites like this. I do know for the processor I will get a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor unless someone can persuade me otherwise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

I do know for 125w processor you have to have a supporting motherboard. I don't know on which manufacturers to look at or how to tell if it is capable of running a 125w processor. I know that this processor can burn a normal board up if not compatible.

I am also at a loss on video card and ram. Ram will depend on motherboard type, more than likely. I know that I was partial to nVidia vcards back in the day but have heard that ATI's radeons are performing well.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Blackcell

Just read your thread and i'm sorry that I can't offer advice as I do not know much about the hardware used in top end gaming rigs, however it is interesting you ask as I was watching a video (it was either on ign.com or gamespot.com) recently where they were starting to build the best gaming machine possible consisting of the best components that each manufacturer offers (intel, nVidia, etc). I think the processors cost about £300 each, so the whole setup was probably around the £5000 mark. Unbelievable!

I can throw my $0.02 around I guess. The Phenoms are excellent processors. I ran one of the original bad boys (x4s) when they first were released and it lasted me close to two years before I decided I wanted to upgrade. Now I'm running the x6, and it still is a dream. Finding a motherboard can be a bit tricky with the 125W, but most of them should show their max rating (you might have to visit their website for full specs.)

Personally I'm also running ATI, and have been for quite a while. If you're running AMD I'd suggest sticking with ATI (since it is owned by AMD), but it is not a requirement (just check your mobo)... but ultimately I guess we need more info on your budget.

• 6 months later...

Well after revisiting I noticed this still open. I built the entire pc for around $1,200. That is including a 200 widescreen. So a grand for the essentials. I've been nothing but pleased. It crunched MOH on high video quiet well. Drags just a tad in very intense online play if massive activity is going on like multiple airstrikes on the location around you because the effects are intense. The other comparioson I've used is sc2. I've cranked everything to high and it will handle anything with ease and the graphics are beautiful.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.