PHP Freaks Projects

Has anyone ever considered setting up some Community Projects on at PHP Freaks?

From what I have seen in my short time on here there is a lot of knowledge and ability and I think it would be easy for people in the community to create CMS's, News Systems, Photo Galleries, Admin Tools and Forums that would rival a few of the other free solutions out there.

These ready-made scripts would be another attraction to bring people to the site and everyone would be able to make suggestions on the development whether they be hardened coders or hobbyists looking at it through end-user eyes.

Also there are a few people that are struggling to set up their own project that would be of great use to other people and these can be other things that the community may want to help develop. My 'project' has been in my head for ten years and is something that there is not currently an adequate free version of available anywhere and with my current rate of learning it will be another ten years before completion!!

If all the projects codes were extensively /*commented*/ then people, like myself, who find it easier to learn from working code than actually reading how to do things, would be able to increase their knowledge based around something familiar.

I really do think that there are a lot of people on here that would make this work and lot more that would benefit from it.

Steve

I have to agree with thorpe. Cutting and pasting never taught anyone anything. Well, except how to cut and paste  :P

I have to agree with Pikachu. Also, whole projects tend to take a very, very long time to complete (if at all) and there is, lets be honest, precious little incentive to commit time and code.  Anyone can whip up a good article in a matter of hours (note: I didn't say tutorial, and I did say hours) which will be immediately, and hopefully for a long time, useful to many more folks than yet-another-cms script.

Bonus points for coming forward with your thoughts though! :)

Fair points one and all!!

Hopefully a few more Tutorials/Articles will appear and give me a few nudges in the right direction!!

I have a bit of a problem with learning bits and pieced unless it is used entirely in the context I need it (ie. I really struggled with grouping and COUNTS but as soon as someone explained it using my own data it made sense) I really find it hard to grasp.

Thankfully, these forums are filled with patient people will to take time to help the unenlightened.

Steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.