between date help

dadamssg

I'm have events stored in my database with start and stop datetimes. I am trying to write a sql query where i pull events occur on a particular day. The event could start on that day, end on that day, OR start before the day and end after the day. Any help would be much appreciated!

i'm sure BETWEEN would work. i don't know the correct syntax to use though. I'm now familiar with querying with dates.

i have something like the following but its not workin...

$date = "2010-11-25";

$query = "SELECT * FROM `Events` WHERE date('2010-11-08') BETWEEN start AND end";

i'm sure BETWEEN would work. i don't know the correct syntax to use though. I'm now familiar with querying with dates.

i have something like the following but its not workin...

$date = "2010-11-25";

$query = "SELECT * FROM `Events` WHERE date('2010-11-08') BETWEEN start AND end";

That looks good (if start and end are column names in your table and are defined as DATE or DATETIME). Note that the $date (PHP) variable is not being used and is not the same value as you put in the query.

You could add code to print mysql_error() if the query fails so you can see why

$date = "2010-11-25";
$query = "SELECT * FROM `Events` WHERE date('$date') BETWEEN start AND end";
$result = mysql_query($query);
if ($result === false) {
  printf("Query Failed:\n%s\nError: %s\n", $query, mysql_error());
} else {
  // Looks Good, move on

yes they are fields in my database that are datetimes. The query won't return events that start and end on the same day though, which is what i also want. So this query isn't what i'm looking for...

$date = "'2010-11-03 00:00:00";

$query = "SELECT * FROM Events WHERE DATE('$date') BETWEEN start AND end ORDER BY start ASC";

BETWEEN is inclusive.

Is there some reason you have the time included as part of the start/end values?

Assuming the $date value is just a date -

SELECT * FROM Events WHERE '$date' BETWEEN date(start) AND date(end)

^^^ If that doesn't work, I recommend that you post a sample of your data, a $date value, and what the expected results should be.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.