Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hostfreak

Security

I was wondering, say you have a script that will only be accessed by a certain group of people. If you .htaccess your public_html, does that make it pretty safe? The script will also have seperate logins, working with sessions/cookies etc.

[quote]If you .htaccess your public_html, does that make it pretty safe?[/quote]

We need more detail. What exactly is in this .htaccess file?

Well, it is the one you can set from cpanel. To password protect a directory and it's sub-directories. If you need to see the exact code it has, let me know.

[code]
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Password Protected Area"
AuthUserFile "/home/user/.htpasswds//passwd"
require valid-user
[/code]

For some reason I couldn't post on the forums (for a pretty long period) so I was making sure it worked.

[quote]bump, I am thinking that should be secure enough, correct?[/quote]

Enough for what? Seriously... where my parents live, they leave the door unlocked when they go out. That is secure enough for them. Me... I need the door locked because I have 5 computers at home.

Do you think this is secure enough? What are you protecting?

I believe that if you are on an encrypted connection it should be pretty safe.

That is just an added security. I have "the door locked" with a normal lock. That is just "a deadbolt". I was just wondering if that was efficient enough .htaccess . It was generated from cpanel.

Using thorpe metaphore-
The more "locks" you add, the more secure it is :)
a username and password being asked by a .htaccess is one lock. If you dont think it's enough add another page asking for a username and password being validate by a php script (using sessions). That's another "lock".

Again- It depends what you are proecting.

Orio.

Yeah, that is what I have. The htacces creates the first login, then there is a second login which is with php using sessions. I just wanted sure with it being a built in cpanel option, how efficient the code it generated for the .htaccess was. Thanks guys for the replies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.