Any good advice on refurbished computers in the UK?

j.smith1981

I have had it with my old server system.

I was trying to get an old Celeron Computer going, running 1Ghz processor and about 256mb of ram, using centos 4.8 as the server operating system.

But I am now starting to get tons of errors, just really starting to take the "ah hem" lol, but seriously I cannot put up with it anymore, I did say in my freelancing post I ran it as a test server but seems to be constantly crashing.

I was wondering what options I have on maybe even a refurbed server, are there any cheap deals on some somewhere lying around on the web? Would really have to be the UK, as I dont want to be lumbered with a system that A wont work or just as bad huge bills for P&P

I am also interested in just basic computers too, but abit better than what I have got now, all I can tell you that I have is a 1Ghz Celeron processor and 256mb of RAM.

Any suggestions?

I preferably would love to do virtualization (just to keep things seperate but not too bothered as it's not my main focus at the moment).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Jez.

Looks like I am going to have to run a version of XAMPP for now, dont mind doing that for development purposes just means I will have to work out a way of sending emails out, I could use a seperate partition for Linux ontop of Windiws (which I have done dozens of times previously for others), but this has really frustrated me.

Might do a clean out of it, I have a can of compressed air which I am going to try and use on the insides, burn a new cd of the OS and try things out just in the hope that this could get rid of all my troubles, but I really think I am due a new OS, preferably the type of decent system that could run RHEL 5 related systems like CentOS 5 or an OS like that.

Its actually an old computer I use as a test bed for server applications.

Scratch the new computer idea though, its just I didnt create a big enough SWAP file for it, thats all; I have a refurbished computer, but no no its not a desktop on a server, I know not to have any GUI's for a server system if you can avoid it.

But I am looking forward to getting this new system, probably will be able to use Centos 5 now, brilliant I think.

Thanks for your help though but no I wasnt meaning that, its an old desktop (small processor and not supported RAM anymore), running services for my work but its lagging now to be honest.

Thanks again,

Jez.

Usually local computer shops will do a refurbed PC. I've seen P4's with about 1g of RAM for about £50. Easily enough to run a local server for a test bed. You could also try eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentium4-Fujitsu-Siemens-Esprimo-P2510-Desktop-Computer-/140486967387?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20b5ad005b

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-dimension-3000-pentium-4-2-8-GHz-512-MB-RAM-/290505947272?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item43a380f888

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.