Change DocumentRoot to a folder in Win7

liamoco

Hello, I am currently dual booting win7 and Linux Ubuntu, I have install xampp on both OS, on win7 I have the DocumentRoot  directing to a folder on my desktop. On my Linux OS I also change the httpd.conf file to direct to that same folder on my win7 desktop, but when I tried to view the web pages on my browser I'm getting a forbidden error. Are there any permissions I need to change how do I do this? Why am I having these problems. If I need to specify any more details please say.

Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

You have to mount the Windows drive partition in Ubuntu (it may be already, depending how you installed it) and point Apache to the path in there: "C:\XAMPP\whatever" will not work - it'll look more like "/mnt/windows/C/XAMPP/whatever".

Depending on the mount options, you might not have to worry about permissions. Linux can't use its permissions system on NTFS partitions; typically the fake permissions are set like "everybody can read, nobody can write" or "everybody can read and write". You'll probably want the latter.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.