php editor

mdvignesh

There are many GUI/WYSIWYG applications for PHP, but to be honest if you dont know a LOT about PHP code itself then you will get stuck at some point and wont know where to fix (or how).

PHP in your head should go something like this:

Think of design (purpose of application)

Create basic file structure (how and where files will be placed)

Get some classes that people have laready made that can save you a lot of time.

Write your code using those classes.

Classes are really the only thing i can see saving you time and effort effectively. But some WYSIWYGS can be pretty good they can tell you syntax errors and even some logic errors as you type.

Google search WYSIWYG PHP editor, or GUI php editor.

hope this helps

I prefer to use Dreamweaver because of the auto-completion feature. As you type code, it will make suggestions which can be quickly selected saving you time. You can also use the Snippets feature for code that you use over and over again. The code collapse feature is handy for updating larger scripts.

A while back I tried out phpDesigner which has some nice features. In addition to suggesting code as you type, it remembers your variable names. So when you start typing a variable name, it will make suggestions. I also like the convert HTML to PHP feature where it could for example change double quotes to single so that you could use the HTML code in a double quoted echo statement. I also liked the Code Explorer panel which counts things like how many times a variable was used. Unfortunately the panel wouldn't count variables used inside double quotes. They may have fixed this in the more recent version.

I've tried a lot of different editors for PHP and now I've been sticking with Eclipse lately. It's free and has a lot of features. If you'd like to invest a little bit of money to your editor I'd suggest Zend Studio which is based on Eclipse but adds a LOT of useful features for debugging and profiling your code.

Why would you want an editor for php?

For one, scripting php isn't the same as building a program in C or visual basic in the sense that its more than just inserting buttons onto a webpage. im pretty sure functions and variables can't be "visual".

two, like the other guy said, at one point or another you're going to have to 'switch to code view' and edit your php code manually, especially if you run  into problems.

if you ask me, i think you should just learn php and build ur way up. in my opinion, there is no easy way out of learning php, you just need to take time and patience, and eventually you'll be like bill gates, poopin scripts out the butt lol