PHP vs JAVASCRIPT

wright67uk

I was unsure of which forum to post this in as it's not directly about your website, nor is it asking for coding help, but here goes anyway;

Whilst learning php (ive a long way to go), it occured to me that I'm going against what the so called self-help books say about web development.  Many books that I have read, say that I should learn html, css and javascript, before learning PHP.

Lets say for examples sake, I was a php guru and there wasnt anything I didnt know about the php language. 

Would there be anything I could cover using javascript, that I was unable to cover with PHP?

It's not the fact of anything being missed, it's just common practice to get to know the Client side languages before the Server side language(s).

You can't make a layout with pure PHP, MySQL...you will need to know HTML and CSS for that, which is the Client side of things.

JavaScript itself is for simple but nice user functionality, for example sliding images, fading elements etc.

You can dive straight into whatever ever you like, as there is no correct method in programming.

Regards, PaulRyan.

As PaulRyan stated, most people learn client side before sever side. However, I think it is perfectly OK to learn html, css, then php and then javascript. Javascript isn't essential to the site's functionality like html/css. It simply adds interaction/animation.

I was unsure of which forum to post this in as it's not directly about your website, nor is it asking for coding help, but here goes anyway;

Whilst learning php (ive a long way to go), it occured to me that I'm going against what the so called self-help books say about web development.  Many books that I have read, say that I should learn html, css and javascript, before learning PHP.

Lets say for examples sake, I was a php guru and there wasnt anything I didnt know about the php language. 

Would there be anything I could cover using javascript, that I was unable to cover with PHP?

Start with php in combination with html and css. for anything non vital, but for that extra visual/responsive bite, use javascript. Thing is people can disable javascript so you can never rely on it. Use it as an extra!

I've learned HTML, then CSS, and now PHP & MySQL, and I recommend that order. You may not have those convenient functionalities like you get with JavaScript, but for the first you can simply leave it out, for example if you wanted to have a drop down menu that would execute a PHP script, you'd have to put a submit button next to it, since you're not using the JavaScript OnClick feature, but those things are not necessary for the first.

That's why I'm saying learn the necessary things first, and then the gimmicks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.