Varying number of variables in mysql

python72

Is there a way to be able to vary number of fields in database? Just to explain I will use an example.

Lets say we have table with user details, the table has the following fields:

User Name - single value for each user

User DOB  - single value for each user

Kid's Names - this can vary, someone can have one kid, others can have several

So I am basically looking for a way to accomodate the varying number of kids names for different users, something like array in programming. What is the proper way to deal with this in mysql? I am new to database and web programming in general so all I can think of right now is to create more than enough fields, like Kid1, Kid2, Kid3 ... Kid20 and when processing read them till null or empty field appear, but I think there should be better way to do it?

Thanks for all your help.

The proper way is to learn about this concept called database normalization. Core concept #1: if you find yourself wanting to create columns like X1, X2, X3... then you need a separate table.

The user table has an ID number and the simple user stuff (name, birthdate, etc). Then you create a table for the kids: an ID number, user ID, and kid (whatever that involves).

If a user has one kid then they'll have one row in the kids table. If they have two kids, two rows. And so on.

Thanks for the answer, I thought about that but hoped there is an easier way. It seems that if there is few fields that can have variable number of entries the queries will be very resource and time consuming, am I right or not?

It is the easier way. At least it will be when you try to write logic for the whole thing: using multiple columns is hell to program for.

So I guess the answer is "no". It will not be resource or time consuming.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.