Empty set

AL123

I am new.

I am trying to output a list of urls in a small app I am working on.

Here is my first sql query that is printing the links:

"SELECT categoryId FROM categories";

When you click on the link a second table is populated with the business information.

SELECT * FROM business, businessCat WHERE businessCat.categoryId = '$catId' AND business.businessId = 'businessCat.categoryId'

So when you click on the link the script calls itself, showing the business info.

In trying to debug the problem in phpMyAdmin, I subsituted $catId for a value from the DB - 'Automotive'.

No matter what, I return an empty set, here is the error:  MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). ( Query took 0.0005 sec )

any suggestions??

AL.

I subsituted $catId for a value from the DB - 'Automotive'.

No matter what, I return an empty set, here is the error:  MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows). ( Query took 0.0005 sec )

That's not an error.  If you're sure that 'Automotive' exists as a categoryId in the businessCat table, then your join is wrong.

I suspect your query is not correct.

SELECT * FROM business, businessCat 
WHERE businessCat.categoryId = '$catId' 
AND business.businessId = 'businessCat.categoryId'

It looks like you are joining the categoryId (from businessCat) to the businessId (in business) (and what are those quotes doing in there?). Shouldn't that be something like this:

SELECT * FROM business, businessCat 
AND business.businessId = businessCat.businessId

(changes in the last line)

or, using the JOIN phrase:

SELECT * 
FROM business JOIN businessCat ON business.businessId = businessCat.businessId

If categoryId is a number, then your page should be passing that number, not the name like "Automotive".

I'm just guessing here since we don't have the table layouts, but I think this should help. If it doesn't, then post your table layouts (Table name, column names and datatypes) and possibly some sample data, so we can figure it out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.