Multiple LIKEs in Search Function

jamesjmann

How do you write multiple "LIKE" parameters for searching?

For example:

mysql_query(SELECT * FROM members WHERE username LIKE $username and name LIKE name);

or

mysql_query(SELECT * FROM members WHERE username LIKE $username, name LIKE name);

How is this done? I'm scripting a search function in php, using a foreach loop to define a variable, which will be placed inside of a mysql_query function.

Here's what the foreach loop looks like

$query = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE";

foreach ($_GET as $field => $value) {

$query .= " $field LIKE $value";

}

mysql _query($query);

Hope this helps you guys to understand better.

Here is an example of one of my search queries using boolean mode which incorporates single or multiple values using spaces or the +,- for include,exclude

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM posts $post_status AND MATCH (post_title,post_content) AGAINST ('$search_words' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY $display $order LIMIT $startrow,$posts_per_page" );

Some LIKE examples

exact match in field1
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 = '$name'

field1 contains the search word anywhere using LIKE and both '%%'
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%'

field1 contains the value that begins with our word using LIKE and the last ' %'
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '$word%'

field1 contains the value that ends with our word using LIKE and the first '% '
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word'

word appears in both fields using AND
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%' AND field2 LIKE '%$word%'

word appears in any of the two fields using OR
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%' OR field2 LIKE '%$word%'

word is in field1 OR in field2 AND field3 using Parentheses
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%' OR (field2 LIKE '%$word%' AND field3 LIKE '%$word%') ORDER BY id DESC

Here is an example of one of my search queries using boolean mode which incorporates single or multiple values using spaces or the +,- for include,exclude

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM posts $post_status AND MATCH (post_title,post_content) AGAINST ('$search_words' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY $display $order LIMIT $startrow,$posts_per_page" );

Some LIKE examples

exact match in field1
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 = '$name'

field1 contains the search word anywhere using LIKE and both '%%'
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%'

field1 contains the value that begins with our word using LIKE and the last ' %'
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '$word%'

field1 contains the value that ends with our word using LIKE and the first '% '
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word'

word appears in both fields using AND
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%' AND field2 LIKE '%$word%'

word appears in any of the two fields using OR
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%' OR field2 LIKE '%$word%'

word is in field1 OR in field2 AND field3 using Parentheses
      SELECT * FROM table WHERE field1 LIKE '%$word%' OR (field2 LIKE '%$word%' AND field3 LIKE '%$word%') ORDER BY id DESC

Thanks, but that's not what I'm trying to do. On my search form, there's about 8 fields, and I want to write a statement that basically checks which fields contain data. Then, write a query using that foreach loop to display the $_POST array values into the query string. Do you know what I mean? That way, a member has unlimited amounts of searching options.

For example,

name LIKE name and gender LIKE gender and location LIKE location

All with percentage signs (wildcard indicators)

A query like that would search for a member who has a name LIKE the name they type - IN ADDITION TO someone whose, say male, who ALSO lives in LA.

• 2 weeks later...

Then you need to build the WHERE clause dynamically.

Oh i figured it out. I had a problem for the longest time where empty fields would get passed to query string, breaking the script; however, a solution quickly occured to me that made sense and worked:

Writing if statements on each post element to check if they are empty - and if they are NOT, assign them to a new array and then call that array in the foreach statement. It works PERFECTLY now. I appreciate the help everyone!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.