Using CONCAT in mysql_query

squigs

I'm looking to extract a dollar value out of a column in mysql table (inventory obviously) the column is set up as a decimal(8,2)

so my numbers are appearing but I can't get them to show a dollar value beforehand.

I have been playing with the following code. If anymore info is needed I can provide it.

Cheers

$searchSQL = mysql_query("SELECT *, CONCAT('$', low_price) FROM inventory WHERE item_name LIKE '%$searchTermDB%' OR item_desc LIKE '%$searchTermDB%' OR sub_category_b LIKE '%$searchTermDB%'");

CONCAT('$', low_price) AS low_price

Even better, call that something else. Like "low_pricemoney". Then

$row = mysql_fetch_array($searchSQL);
echo "Number is ", $row["low_price"], "; currency is ", $row["low_pricemoney"];

Excellent I had been reading about using CONCAT but this filled in the missing blank for me... the AS is needed to rename the column.

Thanks for your responses!

To take this idea one step further, I want to display a price range. I have another decimal column called 'high_price' and if that field is not null I would like for it to output some formatting as well to demonstrate a range of price e.g.

$99.99 - $199.99

Using CONCAT I have only been able to add the extra formatting regardless of whether the field is null or not. I'm assuming that I need a conditional statement to fix this?

My other thought is to scrap the high_price column as a decimal and change it to varchar with formatting inputted directly(kind of sloppy though right?)

Thanks for any advice on this!

Alright, with a little patience I came up with one solution using a both of the answers you guys gave me. I used CONCAT in the following way to achieve my base price in the desired format

$searchSQL = mysql_query("SELECT  *, CONCAT('$', low_price) AS low_price FROM inventory WHERE item_name LIKE '%$searchTermDB%' OR item_desc LIKE '%$searchTermDB%' OR sub_category_b LIKE '%$searchTermDB%'");	

and I wrote a conditional statement and escaped the $ with \ for my optional high_price to create the range which looks like this.

<?php
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($searchResult)){
		if ($row['high_price'] > ($row['low_price'])){
			$high_price =  " - \${$row['high_price']}";
		}else {$high_price = "";
		}
?>

Works for me... if there is any improvements anyone would like to suggest feel free, but for now its doing the job.

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.