MySql Client That Doesn't Load A List of Tables

cmiddlebrook

I have a database which currently has tens of thousands of tables and it is growing daily and I am having trouble finding a MySql client which can handle it. The problem is that most clients such as PHPMyAdmin want to try and load the entire list of tables before it will let you do anything. All I need is something that will allow me to load perhaps the first 50 tables then stop, and I can perform queries if I need to see the rest. This is becoming a real problem as I just can't load the database without it timing out or just hanging the whole computer.

It's one table for each website member. I think that's reasonable.

Not even close to reasonable. Yes: you are supposed to use one "giant" table. That how databases are supposed to work. How they're designed and engineered to work. How you're expected to use them.

Don't try to second-guess the database system's optimizations by coming up with your own solutions to perceived problems (that aren't actually there). Stay on the yellow brick road and you'll get to the Emerald City just fine.

Okay so if I was to merge all the member records into a single member table, currently that would create a table with 2-3 million rows. Are there any limits that I would need to be aware of such as number of rows, or physical table size as this continues to scale?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.