AJAX //awesome

freelance84

I don't know that ajax is awesome but it certainly changed the direction of web development when it emerged. Ironically it was one of the much maligned microsoft additions to IE that eventually sort of took over.  If not for ajax, everyone would probably be using flash now, so it's good that there is an alternative to that.

jquery is awesomer, if that is a word

:) i think it should probably be a word... i think i've used it several times before.

However its not possible to say jquery is awesomer than ajax is it?

Flash, by adobe. Hmm... flash instead of ajax. The whole world and his dog using adobe's product for just about everything on the web... that spells disaster.

Flash, by adobe. Hmm... flash instead of ajax. The whole world and his dog using adobe's product for just about everything on the web... that spells disaster.

Sure does :P

And on that note, has anyone tried Hype yet? I've been thinking about buying it but don't know if I want to spend $30. Worth it?

http://tumultco.com/hype/

:) i think it should probably be a word... i think i've used it several times before.

it is, because I said it in my post.

my reason being its easier to use ajax functions via jquery, than writing them yourself, for me at least.

Sure does :P

And on that note, has anyone tried Hype yet? I've been thinking about buying it but don't know if I want to spend $30. Worth it?

Hadn't hear of it but it looks cool.

my reason being its easier to use ajax functions via jquery, than writing them yourself, for me at least.

jquery utilizes asynchronous functions...which is what I believe you are talking about...AJAX uses them as well

jquery utilizes asynchronous functions...which is what I believe you are talking about...AJAX uses them as well

Ajax is the buzzword for making asynch httpd connections.  It actually came about as an acronym for Asynchronous Javascript And XML, but people are much more likely to use json these days rather than xml.  You can code this yourself, but you have to have functions that support the different implementations provided by the browsers.  The specific function calls are totally different for IE and firefox.  jquery just hides all that.

share your emotions if you do try it soon please :) was thinking about purchasing it as well...

I did end up purchasing it. I haven't really had too much time to play with it (~10 minutes) but so far so good. I was just using it to make a simple slideshow type thing for a friend and its much easier to use for that than Power Point ever was which is a good sign. I haven't had a chance to get into anything fancy but I'll make a thread once I do. It definitely seems like the start of something big and exactly what HTML5 needs to be adopted faster.

One thing I intend to look at is the quality of code it spits out at the end. I really hope its not like Frontpage... ugh

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.