trigger an action after a modaldialog closes?

ginerjm

I figured out how to use a showmodaldialog call to open up a 'login' window.  It gets called from the current form, pops up on top of the current form, does the login and then closes itself, leaving control back with the current form.  What I WANT to do is force the current form to do a refresh using another js call, but how can I trigger that?  Is there some kind of "wait" mechanism that I can set when I do the showmodaldialog call so that I can then execute the refresh function and then turn control back to the user?

this works good

<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"> </script>
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() {
    var mySelect = document.getElementById('school2');
    mySelect.onchange = function() {
        if (this.value == 'other') {
	            document.getElementById('otherdiv').style.display = 'block';
	        } else {
	            document.getElementById('otherdiv').style.display = 'none';
	        }
        }
    }
</script>
<select id="school2">
    <option>1</option>
    <option>2</option>
    <option>other</option>
</select>
<div id="otherdiv" style="display: none;">
    asd
</div>

Thanks for the feedback people, but I have to say I don't understand either reply.

thorpe - if showmodaldialog is not a built-in function, then what the h. is it?

hemo-ali  - thank you for the code you posted, but what the heck is it doing?  Doesn't seem to address my problem.

A brief re-telling of my needs:

form has a button that opens up a dialog box wherein the user does something that affects the calling form.

User closes the dialog and I want the calling form to refresh itself automatically so that the user sees confirmation of the

changes he/she made by using the dialog box.

solved my own problem. It seems that the mere fact that I have opened up a modal dialog (showmodaldialog), my executing function is waiting upon the dialog's return.  Tada!!  I simply added a line to refresh my 'main' window right after the call - which executes only when the dialog returns.  Here is my function in my main window:

function OpenLoginWin()

{

var url = 'http://voorheesvillefd.org/vfdlogin1.php';

myWindow = window.showModalDialog(url,"","dialogWidth:430px;dialogHeight:390px;center:yes;status:no;resizable:no");

window.location.reload(); /* force  a reload of this page to show the logged in name at the top */

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.