Best way to determine a topic ID

freelance84

How does phpBB create ID's for its topics?

eg: www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=335536.0

How is 'topic=335536.0' generated? (i'm guessing the '.0' is the value used to determine the page number)

The post ID is simple a AI field I'm guessing, but then each post needs to link to a topic ID which is in the same table and thus cannot be an auto Increment as there needs to multiple entries using the same topic ID...

My initial thoughts:

Count the DISTINCT topic ID's then +1 for the new one (But what if 1000 people all simultaneously press 'post' at the same time? Would the DISTINCT count therefore be incorrect for some?)

or//

Taking the OP's ID and coupling with the current unix timestamp (this one will only work if a user can only ever be logged into a system once at any one time)

(probably miles off here, but i'm creating a system with a similar concept to topic ID's and kinda stuck as to the best way)

Simple, for existing ones posts: the parent ID of the topic is located in the same (or table joining the two) row. Every post belongs to a topic.

ID | Topic ID | Post info
1    335536        ...

When creating a new topic, there is a topic table, with some data about the topics, and then an AI ID kicks in.

Try installing a forum and see for yourself :)

ahhhh... I see. Well that makes sense  ::)

So when a new topic is created, the first step is to create a new entry in the 'topic table' which has its own AI ID field. After inserting this, the topics ID just right there...

Thank you. Can't believe I didn't click on that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.