[VB] Learning from VB6?

So far I've only done web related programming, html, php, mysql, js, etc. I am about to start working on an application that was programmed in VB6. I am a bit concerned about working with an outdated language so I might start learning .Net. I just don't want to start learning .Net if it will interfere with my understanding of VB6. I hope I explained my situation well enough. Just looking for some opinions. Should I start learning VB6 or should I go straight to .Net and figure out the differences along the way?

I am planning on asking the developer if there are any plans on redoing the application in .Net in the future, but I don't think it's a solution at the moment.

Should I start learning VB6 or should I go straight to .Net and figure out the differences along the way?

I want to plan for programming in .NET on my own but not if the differences are too great of a distraction from working with this program.

You'll need a decent Visual Studio 6 edition, you probably should get the Enterprise edition to make sure you have the necessary modules to support your existing program.  Your program may have other 3rd party controls embedded in the application and you may need to obtain them too in order to adequately maintain the application.

Learning different programming languages is always a good thing imho, but learning how to work with the various IDE and deployment environments will probably take more work than the coding itself.  And if you're called on to maintain existing VB6 I'd wait on getting into NET until you get comfortable working with the VB6 environment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.