Bracket Usage

Ninjakreborn

I have been programming for awhile. I have always had a specific style, but lately noticing with C++ and other languages it gets easier with another format....let me explain.

DO you setup your brackets as below:

function whatever () {
  // stuff
  if (whatever) {
    //whatever 
  }else if {
    // whatever
  }
}

Or:

function whatever ()
{
  if (whatever) 
  {
    //Whatever
  }else if
  {
    //Whatever
  }
}

I have always found the second one ugly, but in most third party systems (and frameworks for that matter) I see the second one.

What is your personal style/preference, and why.

it makes no difference how you set up your style

use the method which you like the best and can read easier.

in your one example I layout like so to show relevance for me, also I separate with comments or symbols if code gets too messed up from constant changes

to each his/her own

function whatever () {
                             // stuff
                                    if (whatever) {
                                     //whatever 
                                          }else if {
                                               // whatever
                                                     }
                                               }

Good, at least glad to hear someone agrees with me. I have seen so many frameworks use that ackward structure. I have always used the first method, but was curious what other people were using.  I find it easier

to read, easier to write, and all around cleaner. Only reason I started getting curious because now even doing C++ whenever I use a codeblocks automatic project, it always formats in the second method, it's a pain.

Thanks for the feedback. I was curious what other PHPFreaks users were doing as far as format was concerned.

Only reason I was curious at all was every framework I have ever seen and their listed "coding practices" always showed the second. Was starting to think I was missing something.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.