• PYTHON
    • PERL
    • CSS
    • VB.NET
    • C++
    • C#
    • Badger
    • Other(s)

What? HTML & CSS definitely aren't and MySQL is a database server. SQL (Structured query language) is the language of relational database systems (while I would agree, they all have there own dialects).

MySQL strictly speaking does have programming embedded into it in the form of Stored Procedures, it just lacks any real triggers, Oracle and Informix have great support for triggers, but comparing how much you spend on Oracle (in the thousands of $ or £ mark) or Informix for that matter you'd expect that to be a well maintained system and with some huge support for them!

To trigger a stored procedure you'd need to attach PHP or another language to invoke that stored procedure.

Mine are:

PHP

Perl

MySQL

C++

(more or less in that order too) C++ and C (couldn't see C in the list) are just out of pure interest, want to try and create a socket server in C or C++ eventually, what I am writing in PHP at this very moment, want to allow Flash to connect to a TCP socket and play network multiplayer games!

MySQL strictly speaking does have programming embedded into it in the form of Stored Procedures

Which is indeed part of the language SQL. MySql isn't a language.

Also, MySQL has had triggers since version 5.0 and if you want to pay for it you can, it is owned by oracle after all.

I did say embedded and in the form of '' that meaning MySQL is not a language.

But I was meaning in the sense of triggers that MySQL has to have something happened to that data to make the trigger work, MySQL can not do this on it's own, if a user for example is added to a users table, the trigger occurs after that.

You could in Oracle (did this at University myself), you could get the Oracle services (not sure which one would actually do this or which ones), to go through on a specified time to say remove any users that have not been logged in, without having to put that in your application logic, that's what I mean by lack of invoking triggers on it's own.

But I was meaning in the sense of triggers that MySQL has to have something happened to that data to make the trigger work, MySQL can not do this on it's own.

Um, indeed it can. It has had temporal triggers since 5.1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.