Shared Web Hosting vs Dedicated hosting

ZulfadlyAshBurn

Basically, I have bought two hosting services from two different companies. Rackspace.com and Hosting24.com.

Dedicated Server from RackSpace and Shared Hosting from Hosting 24. My question is do I really get unlimited bandwidth and storage from shared hosting? I have seen many shared hosting companies making them available. If yes, why? I do understand that dedicated servers unlimited bandwidth can be trusted as I paid extra fee for it.

It's the same as almost any "unlimited" offer in this world. There will be some terms of use stating it can't be over x amount and/or you have to follow their fair usage policy. It's just a gimmick that probably 99.9% of users will never put to the test.

You paid extra for a dedicated server because you have a dedicated server. You're not sharing it with anyone else and will have root/admin access to do what you want on there. You'll still be restricted to the bandwidth they can provide though.

All you need theoretically is a computer with a web server installed and an internet connection. How fast that can deliver the content, and how it would handle under load is where the hardware would make a difference. For a new server you can spend from a hundred or so pound through to a hundred thousand pound (and more). I don't know you, but I suspect you may not be able to afford the best there is. That's fine though, because you won't need it -- or should I say, at least not right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok cool. If I were to host the servers at home, would it be better?

It is very unlikely you will be able to set something better up "at home".  You can probably get a better deal on the server hardware, but as far as an internet connection... most residential ISPs have it in their ToS that you are not allowed to use your internet connection for servers, and even if your ISP doesn't specifically state that (or you chance it and hope not to get caught), the actual connection for residents are usually much slower than commercial connections.  If you are hosting some small site and only expect a few hits here and there...then residential connection will probably be okay (providing your ISP allows it).  But if you are running some site and expect a lot of traffic and bandwidth...forget it. 

All you need theoretically is a computer with a web server installed and an internet connection. How fast that can deliver the content, and how it would handle under load is where the hardware would make a difference. For a new server you can spend from a hundred or so pound through to a hundred thousand pound (and more). I don't know you, but I suspect you may not be able to afford the best there is. That's fine though, because you won't need it -- or should I say, at least not right now.

I got given to me a very old server, talking probably a server that was manufactured in 2000 and works perfectly fine for the things I work on with this forum, well when I want help I come here and usually going around the web asking for help if I have any problems.

The main lag I have though is broadband and if there's x number of users on the server you occasionally get drop outs I run Apache though but that's because I am comfortable with it, I bought an old refurbished computer for nearly £200 as a router that runs pfSense (great firewall software) and use Snort as an intrusion detection system.

I can't remember the spec of my server but it's like having 4 times the memory of my work station, that has 3 operating systems a client version of Linux that my server runs Centos (haven't got around to compiling a todo list for the upgrade to the new version of Centos) as it's one version behind at the moment but until they stop supporting what I am on I will keep on using it.

I recently upgraded using a repository for that I was advised to use for upgrading PHP to version 5.3 because 5.2 wasn't supported anymore, because I do work for found clients of mine I wanted to keep in with support of PHP's releases as such, it's great fun to play around with PHP just trying to use Zend Framework and want to try going for certification at some point so playing around with that at the moment.

Nice thread though, but I like hosting my own server in my own home, ok it's not the best (infact it's the worst for uploading) but to be honest never had any complaints even images aren't too bad, other forms of media you can forget about it though audio and video, but I haven't ever been asked to make anything like that, well not yet anyways.

most residential ISPs have it in their ToS that you are not allowed to use your internet connection for servers

That's true to a certain extent, you can do it perfectly fine for non profit or training for work etc, how in inverted comma's I use it for work based stuff, so if I want to save something to home without having to use my usb stick or whatever then that's perfectly fine, why would they stop you if you wheren't making money with it?

If you are making money from it then they will ask you for some of the cut using their network you see?

That's what the TOS really means, I can virtually prove this since I experienced some downtime on my connection was complaining as they where off for a whole week in this case and I made an official complaint to the ISPA, in a discussion about the problem that was occuring, I said wouldn't have anything to do with me running my own test server for work would it? They replied with no as long as you are not making any money from it.

I am but I don't advertise that on my site lol, if they do get a bit iffy with me about this then I will go for the Business account or go to a new ISP (which is the preffered one, going for a new ISP) since they offer the exact same thing no static IP, no decent upload speeds, so why would I go for that offer when I can get better elsewhere for business like connections?

It's just for cheapness who I am with at the moment and hasn't caused a problem just staying away from media related things that's all, it's all entirely information based my work at the moment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.