Editing .dll / .exe files

anks

Editing .dll / .exe files

I have an application which scrapes KWs from suggestions.

The programme is coded for amazon.com but i want to scrape for amazon.co.uk.

I know for sure, if i am able to edit the dll or exe file where it says amazon.com to amazon.co.uk, it will solve my purpose.

I tried to open the dll and exe files in PE Editor/ Tuner application but all bloddy binaries, i understand nothng where do we need to change the path of Amazon.

Can someone guide me in right direction?

Regards

A

I was always one for HexEdit or you could simply change your hosts file so your requests goto the correct address to accomplish what you want.

Woooooooooooooo

Now thats my Man..... Very Nice clean clever Trick.

So for Change in Host file, i have a question.

URL hardcoded in Application: http://amazon.com

Then paramenters that we selecte in Application Front end are concatenated with this URL, like Category, no of results and so on.

So the Application will make up a URL based on our settings like:

www.amazon.com/cat=sports&noresults=20   

Something liek that....

So As per your Trick, if i Just change my host file and redirect amazon.com to amazon.co.uk, will it keep the same URL Structure (www.amazon.com/cat=sports&noresults=20)?  I mean, will this URL be dynamically changes to (www.amazon.co.uk/cat=sports&noresults=20    )?

Is it the way to do it or did i miss something?

There are some reasons why it wouldn't work but if it does, it will be dynamic as you say.  Just going to have to try it and see.

Certainly I will give it a  go when i reach home, currently at work.

I will report back of the Results.

Cheers

Or you could contact the developer(s) and request that amazon.co.uk be added to a list of sources to choose from.

Thanks for reply, but i wasted 10 days expacting a reply from the developer, he has abandoned this application and even his domain is expired and he did not re-new it. lol 

I was always one for HexEdit or you could simply change your hosts file so your requests goto the correct address to accomplish what you want.

To implement this solution i have added this two lines in my Host file:

amazon.co.uk amazon.com

www.amazon.co.uk www.amazon.com

Is that how we implement it?

I tried to go to www.amazon.com but its not redireting to amazon.co.uk.  What am i missing?

I tried to go to www.amazon.com but its not redireting to amazon.co.uk.  What am i missing?

You probably need to flush the DNS cache. Open up a Command Prompt as an Administrator (right-click, Run as administrator) and type

ipconfig /flushdns

Either that, or restart your computer.

Hosts file entries need to be an IP address followed by one or more hostnames.  You can't do a hostname followed by a hostname line.

Thanks

In that case, i went ot my commandpromt and did    ping amazon.co.uk

and got IP 178.236.5.39

then i have put these lines in my Host file:

178.236.5.39 http://www.amazon.com/

178.236.5.39 http://amazon.com/

178.236.5.39 amazon.com/

178.236.5.39 www.amazon.com/

But still its not redirecting.... :-(

178.236.5.39 www.amazon.com
178.236.5.39 amazon.com

tested and works for me, make sure you flush your dns

ipconfig /flushdns

Yes it seems to redirect but now comes the bigger challange. :-(

So the Application will make up a URL based on our settings like:

www.amazon.com/cat=sports&noresults=20 

Something liek that....

So As per your Trick, if i Just change my host file and redirect amazon.com to amazon.co.uk, will it keep the same URL Structure (www.amazon.com/cat=sports&noresults=20)?  I mean, will this URL be dynamically changes to (www.amazon.co.uk/cat=sports&noresults=20    )?

Right now its not happening.

Is it the way to do it or did i miss something?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.