Do I need SSL?

crankyslap

I am using apache2+mysql on Linux Debian 5 to store product keys for a vb.net program I made. What happens in the program is on of the following:

1. Bind the users computer ID to the product key they provided. (update x set computerid=computeridsent WHERE productkey=productkeysent)

2. Check if users computer ID matches the product key stored. (select productkey from x where computerid=computeridsent)

Are there any security risks involved if I don't do this over SSL? I actually hardly know anything about it.

Thanks Geudrik, did not know that. The project I was working on is pushed a bit into the background but I still want to do this.

Glad I could help!  Getting Apache configured properly after you've signed up / requested the certs can be a bit of a pain... if you need a hand, feel free to zip me a private message and I'll help ya out (though, I must admit I have a grand total of zero windows apache config experience...)

Thanks Geudrik, did not know that. The project I was working on is pushed a bit into the background but I still want to do this.

Glad I could help!  Getting Apache configured properly after you've signed up / requested the certs can be a bit of a pain... if you need a hand, feel free to zip me a private message and I'll help ya out (though, I must admit I have a grand total of zero windows apache config experience...)

Using Debian ;D

That's one way to do it.. GoDaddy... *shudder* haha I'll stick to private servers :P

crankyslap: If you could mark this topic as 'Solved' that'd be great, providing we've got your question answered to its fullest :P

I'll mark it solved because the main question has been answered. I don't like godaddy one bit either, or any shared host for that matter. VPS / Dedi ftw ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.