domain name forwarding search engine locating

freelance84

If a domain 'www.shopsite1.com' is forwarded to 'www.mybigsite.com/shop1/' and also masked to the effect that visitors still saw www.shopsite1.com in the address bar even though the content was from 'www.mybigsite.com/shop1/' .....

How would the search engines react? If someone searched 'shopsite1' in google what would come up, www.shopsite1.com, or www.mybigsite.com/shop1/ ?

Wanting to give a friend the option to offer CMS with his web design business and my thoughts were:

1. Change hosting to actually come from his domain: www.hiswedesigndomain.com/client1/ then www.hiswedesigndomain.com/client2/ .... etc

2. Each client to actually have their own domain name, but the domain name forwarded to the relavent subfolder as per step 1

3. This would mean all CMS could easily be managed from the same server and all clients would have to log in to the same CMS control panel.

The problem is each client is obviously going to require being found in the engines... has anyone had any experience with this?

You could specify a rewrite rule to forward requests to the domain "www.shopsite1.com" if that isn't the host they're requesting. That will result in Google or other search engines being forwarded to the right domain and you not getting knocked down for duplicate content.

You'll need to add an entry to your Apache config:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^www.shopsite1.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^/(.*)         www.shopsite1.com/$1 [L,R=permanent]

Of course this would only work for that one site though, so you'll probably want to think about a more dynamic way of doing it.

Yup. Not a brilliant first idea.

Had a rethink and came to this:

Each of the sites which has cms implemented will be on their own shared hosting account, each page will connect to a  mysql databse on my server

The own of each said site will access my CMS control panel on my site to alter the contect the desire

Problem: How would i protect myself against people just simply altering the scripts to be dangerous to me.

Another rethink (you should realise here that my friend who will be designing the graphics of the sites knows nothing about server side scripting nor wants to):

Use XML:

My friend creates the html of the site.

I turn this into php and add some js which in turn is presented to the client on their own server.

The index.php which created by converting the html simply ensures that the most up to date xml is on the clients server.

If the client wished to change the content:

Client logs into CMS control panel for their account which will be on my server.

They alter the content as they require

They click save.

My safe php scripts on my server then update an xml script based on the mysql content which resides on my server

Then all that happens is when a user visits this site (eg www.mrbuilder.com) with CMS, it checks and downloads the latest xml file to the server and the content specific data is applied without having to access my servers DB.

Any thoughts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.