1000s of pages to be created? Stop/point me to an alternative

rodhow

Hello,

I am about to upload records into my mysql database that will easily total into the thousands. Each row represents a page so when someone searches for information, the search page displays the requested rows as links. However, I haven't started making the files yet to these links as I would have to create one for every row. Is there an alternative to this madness? Is there a dynamic page script that would display information from that row when the link is clicked on? Can someone point me in the right direction via tutorial, or just give me some information on how to do this. I would not want to make thousands of individual pages; the maintenance would be disastrous. Thanks.

The whole point of using PHP and a database is to make dynamic sites.  As in, one (or several) HTML templates that can show any number of individual rows of database..err..data.

To flesh out what tonyhh said above, your links should look something like: www.mysite.com?id=2234214  You can then use that id (which would be available in $_GET) as a parameter in a SELECT query.  From there, you can plug in the data that's returned into a template.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.