where do i start with php programming

webapps

Hey folks, am new to programming but have keen interest in learning how to develop web applications using php and mySQL. where is the best place to start cause i just can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get dirty into code. However, i have an IT background and do understand most of the basic concepts. i derive my strength in being a fast learner and self studious individual. any one with help on how to get started with php?

Tutorials, tutorials, and more tutorials.

If you don't like tutorials, then I suggest you come up with an idea for a web application that doesn't involve cloning facebook, or twitter.  Start small.  You obviously can't learn PHP overnight, but you CAN come up with a simple idea for an application overnight.

Suppose you have a massive collection of MP3s, you can use PHP to organize them and search through them.

Suppose you have full bookshelves that you would love to keep track of.

Suppose you are a business owner and your inventory is only stored in paper form.

The key is to find something relevant to your everyday life that can be improved with a web application.  It doesn't matter if you're a plumber, a carpet salesman, a blacksmith, a writer, or even an alcoholic.... there is always something to be organized.  And that is where you begin in the PHP learning process...  this also applies to other languages, but your question dealt with PHP so.. yeah.

Find your problem, google the hell out of it, READ THE PHP MANUAL, and read a few tutorials.  There are quite a few hosted here on PHPFreaks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.