A Noob questions regarding PHP

blyz

Hi , i have ideas for PHP websites such as directories and video sharing websites and i was wondering is their any other way to build php websites with login systems etc, without sitting down for months learning the code from scratch? or hiring a freelancer to do it for me?

Thanks

...then them duplicating it and selling it on, or using it themselves i suppose.

Write up a contract that states the design is not to be used elsewhere and if it is found to be in use elsewhere that he agrees of a $10,000 fine per instance it is used, get it noterized on his end, have him fax or scan it in with signature and all should be well.

But given that, all he would really have to do is make a few minor changes to the code, but it may hold up in court if you decide to pursue it that way.

...then them duplicating it and selling it on, or using it themselves i suppose.

Write up a contract that states the design is not to be used elsewhere and if it is found to be in use elsewhere that he agrees of a $10,000 fine per instance it is used, get it noterized on his end, have him fax or scan it in with signature and all should be well.

But given that, all he would really have to do is make a few minor changes to the code, but it may hold up in court if you decide to pursue it that way.

yes, most of the work that I do for companies require me to agree to a contract created by the company, it's a common practice.

If you don't feel like spending the time that it takes to learn the ins and outs of several languages, hire a coder and require him/her to sign a contract, as premiso stated.

Write up a contract that states the design is not to be used elsewhere and if it is found to be in use elsewhere that he agrees of a $10,000 fine per instance it is used,

Sorry but I don't think many people would agree to that. I know I wouldn't.

Most freelancers use a contract that states, more-or-less, that the developer owns all copyright to the code, but the client can modify the code for their own use however they see fit, but cannot redistribute it.

That way, I am free to use the code that I developed as a base for future projects, future clients, I can use it willy nilly on my portfolio if I want, and I have zero concerns about getting sued for it. None of this effects the client in any way, they got what they paid for.

After all, a large majority of freelancing work is throwing a CMS together with some modifications and calling it a day. It's not even your code.

Aside from the monetary reward (the presence of which is debatable), your agreement is identical to what he suggested. 

A proper freelance contract should state that the developer owns the copyright of the work and licenses a non-exclusive non-transferable permanent irrevocable license to the client for use for the business purpose described in the contract.  The product may be modified by the client but not distributed, sold, and revealed to any third parties save contractors under NDAs.  Monetary damages resulting from a violation of the contract may or may not be included.

Note also, scoot, that even if you retain the copyright to the code, you still may not be able to use the sites themselves as part of your portfolio, because the assets (images, videos, etc) belong to the client.  Careful reproducing screenshots of "your code" with someone else's IP in them.

Aside from the monetary reward (the presence of which is debatable), your agreement is identical to what he suggested. 

Not really. He suggested that if the code is used anywhere else that the developer pay a $10,000 fine.

Note also, scoot, that even if you retain the copyright to the code, you still may not be able to use the sites themselves as part of your portfolio, because the assets (images, videos, etc) belong to the client.  Careful reproducing screenshots of "your code" with someone else's IP in them.

True. I guess I was thinking more of the whole design being part of the work there. It's hard to use random chunks of code for random projects in your portfolio.

Not really. He suggested that if the code is used anywhere else that the developer pay a $10,000 fine.

Yes...that would be the monetary reward that I said was the only exception.  Pika is right, the implication is that the client would pay, since the post said "he agrees to pay."  Presumably if the developer were to pay, the post would have said "you."

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.