Which Types of Applications Are Profit Promising?

Glese

I spent quite some time learning PHP and it took quite a bit to learn, but I did learn it, and I think I should now earn it.

I also think there's only so much you can do on the internet, and a lot is already around. And in this sense I am wondering which types of application do promise a profit?

I personally think I can program it all without trying to sound over-confident, I just think it may take a while and a bit, especially an investment of effort, other than that not much seems impossible, just tedious.

What are the suggestions?

Perhaps some you may already have application which gross a profit and you may know what is prone to work.

providing a service that looks up something someone is prepared to pay for?

many have been done, like online hpi checks on cars.

or maybe a cloud service?

however need to find something thats not been covered, or cover something in a new way thats better than existing apps

It's fairly rare to come up with sites that churn out a reasonable profit.  Ads suck, especially in the age of ad blockers, and services are wrought with peril unless you can come up with something novel.  In a industry filled with people trying to make the next Facebook, good luck with that.

There's a reason why most of us work for others.  It's the only reliable way to make money in this field.  Looking for a magic bullet is the wrong way to go IMO.

Looking for a magic bullet is the wrong way to go IMO.

You could of course be the next Mark Zuckerberg. When he started Facebook with friends there were already quite a few social networks available. The reason Facebook became attractive was because it was exclusive. Same goes for Apple, everyone loves their products because they are "exclusive". Facebook first became a leader in a niche before they expanded and made the big step of becoming a player in a market that was saturated. It could of have gone either way.

Pick a market, find out who your foes are and use their apps if possible. Socialize with their user-base (if possible, do a market research otherwise, be creative) and find out what your competitor sucks at and how you can be better. This is not a magic bullet of course, just look at Google+, they listened to their audience and created a product that respects your privacy and allows you to selectively talk to groups of people. However: "but all my friends are already on Facebook!" and "do I have to register again? Can't I log in with my Facebook account?"

When you have an idea, create a SWOT (Strength-Weakness-Opportunity-Threath) analysis. When your competitors are too strong, specialize your idea and start a niche, and become a leader in this new niche. For example you can't beat Facebook, but you may thrive well when you create a niche for example: social network for children < 13 or a social network for people on retirement.

EDIT: Look around I'm sure there are books that explain this better than I did.

I agree with the other posters, ads usually don't cut it, must provide a service and it be good enough for them to pay for it.

Usually any of these better ideas take up many resources, lots of space,memory and cpu, or even multiple machines. Those cost serious money and hard to profit from them from the start, so most never venture into them knowing are gonna be in the black.

Over my 30 years on the net, I've seen a lot come and go, really cool ideas, but not really profitable.

The thing is, people like Zuckerberg are the exceptions to the rule.  There are always a select few who, through a combination of intelligence, instinct, opportunity, and luck, become wildly successful.  The thing is, chances are, you're (the royal you) aren't going to be that person.  Now, that doesn't mean that you should never take a chance, or dare to dream, or whatever.  What it means is don't bank on one thing being the thing to make you successful.

Like I've said before, what a lot of our own members don't realize is that the skills they've learned attempting to make their idea/scheme come to life are often more valuable than whatever site/service they made.

Like I've said before, what a lot of our own members don't realize is that the skills they've learned attempting to make their idea/scheme come to life are often more valuable than whatever site/service they made.

Exactly. Instead of spending 300 man-hours on your own "next Facebook", get hired to make someone else's. Who cares if it fails, you still got paid several thousand dollars - which is several thousand dollars more than you got paid for your own failure.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.