directory and indexing

silverglade

I want to submit my site to google and other search engines, but I have to be sure it isn't going to index it as another domain. like this.

myname.com points to the "public_html/ "directory,

othername.com points to the "public_html/OTHER/" directory,

is it possible that google indexes othername.com index  page as "myname.com/OTHER/index.html".

because if they did a search on google for "othername.com" I don't want "myname" to show up.

these names are subsitutes of course for the real names, i cant give those out.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks.

because my sites are small and i have one host and one account. so I have 1 public html directory when I connect, I put all of my site directories under that public html. but I am wondering, the first site is my name, the second site is someone elses name, I don't want a search for their names website to come up with my names website, I don't want the names associated on a google search. I don't know if that makes sense.

thanks for answering

host will not let me make another root type of public_html directory.

i think the problem was i was putting the contents of myname.com in public_html/ alone. it should be public_html/MYNAMESITE/

and public_html/OTHERNAMESITE/

and so they will be seen as separate to google and not indexed in any way together right?

You can set up any directories you want.

/public_html/site1

/public_html/site2

/public_html/site3

etc and then in the domain manager of cpanel just point to those directories.

The site www.yourdomain.com will automatically index to the proper directory and google will index each site individually.

host will not let me make another root type of public_html directory.

i think the problem was i was putting the contents of myname.com in public_html/ alone. it should be public_html/MYNAMESITE/

and public_html/OTHERNAMESITE/

and so they will be seen as separate to google and not indexed in any way together right?

You could still get to OTHERNAMESITE by going to domain.com/OTHERNAMESITE

Is your hosting root public_html?

If they're on separate domains they will be treated as different websites, google's (and other search engines) crawler will access it by the domain, and start indexing it working it's way from index.php(html, whatever) through your links or sitemap, counting any points (so to speak) as relevance for pages under the given domain.

So long as you never link to the first domain from the second, Google will never know. You could also make sure this never happens by checking for requests to 'domain.dom/othersite' and redirecting to 'othersite.com' at the Apache level.

So long as you never link to the first domain from the second, Google will never know. You could also make sure this never happens by checking for requests to 'domain.dom/othersite' and redirecting to 'othersite.com' at the Apache level.

Why would that matter? Google will just treat it as an external link.

If you have two URLs pointing to the same content, Google will mark you down for duplicate content. It's a black hat type technique for boosting keyword rankings. Also the OP said he didn't want his domain showing in the results, so redirecting any requests would ensure that will never happen.

I don't follow? From what I understand he just has another domain pointing to a sub-directory on his own domain...? Same content just accessed through a different URL.

Well, he did this:

site 1..    public_html/site1/

site 2      public_html/site2/

Since neither domain can access public_html directly now, he should be okay.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.