Using PHP and a form to access network drives on a private network?

leond

Hi,

I'm very new to PHP, so please bare with me.
Ok, we have a server at school, with network drives and everyone has their own login details, what I want to do is create a form on our website where the staff and pupils can log in and view the network drives (to which they have access to at school) from the school server, is this possible with PHP, maybe with sockets?

The server at school has a static IP address and is a small intranet site.
Our website is hosted on the PowWeb server, they use PHP version 5, and mysql 4.1.

Thanks very much for your help

I REALLY wouldn't recommend interconnecting the public domain and a private network if you're "very new to PHP" and probably clueless about the security implications. Nevertheless, I find this a very interesting question and if anyone has a hint on how to accomplish this I'd be very interested too.

It can't be done with sockets as your title implies though, because you can only connect to sockets on the same network.

[quote]you can only connect to sockets on the same network[/quote]

Im afraid that is mistaken. I have, in the past run a webserver that was built on php's sockets and was publicly available from anywhere just as apache is.

Still, this question could become quite complex. The server at school, does it have a php enabled webserver installed? Might be easier than trying to write your own.

[quote]I could MAYBE do it from on the schools server but not on it i would say it would take a PHP genius...[/quote]

And some. Its never going to work that way. You would need to make the schools server serv up the required data to the PowWeb server. Wouldn't actually be too difficult at.

The best way around this is to get a asp programmer to do the programming for you as theres a lot to do to make the website secure.

or

create a asp whole website and then let it go public as were php programmers maybe your be able to load php mysql and apache ask then we can help ok.

[quote author=thorpe link=topic=113298.msg460919#msg460919 date=1162348906]
Im afraid that is mistaken. I have, in the past run a webserver that was built on php's sockets and was publicly available from anywhere just as apache is.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, my mistake. Somehow I figured you can't acess a network Apache is not serving too, as php is running under Apache. I see now you can access anything the server machine can access. I don't know what I was thinking.  ::)

[b]Edit:[/b] Thorpe, if you have any resources about interconnecting networks I'd be very interested to read them. Google is letting me down sofar.

Maybe I haven't lost track of what's happening yet...

Would this mean mounting each network drive to the server? I've done this for my home network so I could provide myself a login to access all the files as if they were on the actual server. This server was within the same network as the network drives, however. Without a dedicated server with which you can manage all the mounting, this can prove to be very difficult.

Hopefully I'm still on the same track. Just trying to provide some insight.

Ok... so the schools server is windows then. Do you only want to view the files contained in these drives or do you want to be able to manipulate them?

The reason I ask is it would be quite easy to write a small asp application that would serve up a list (maybe xml) of files within a requested drive. However, doing any form of file uploading / maniulation is a right pain with asp, unless of course your talking .NET, then you prbably better off doing the whole application on the schools server.

In fact your probably best off doing the whole application on the schools server anyway. I meen thats where most of the work is going to need to be done.

OK I'm lost now, so whats the best way to do this?
I forgot to mention yes its a Windows server, Windows 2000 Server.
I was wondering as most of you only specialize in PHP, if I installed PHP on there would I be able to do the whole App in PHP?

EDIT: Yes I would want to manipulate the files to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.