What does the @ mean?

EchoFool

Hey,

I recently been learning some php scripts for a engine i am creating, and i am seeing this in some of the example scripts:

if (!@$user['id']) {
		GLOBAL $wrongPass;
		$wrongPass = true;
		return false;
	}

I'm familiar with PHP but i have never seen the @ symbol before. It seems to make no difference if i remove it =/

What does it actually do for the if statement, does it make it case insensitive or something?

Safe, yes. Bad coding, yes.  What happens when you change your database connection variable to $conn.  You have just broken that function.  Now not a big deal if the function resides in the current script you are working in.  However, what if it resides in a file that was included?

In your script though, the global is not even needed, since you are working in a class.  $db is a variable of the class, so it can be used as $this->db (and it is).

I've experienced at least one time where it has been a good idea to use it...

I wanted to do something to a dynamic file. I did check the file extension and the mime, but it still could end in error if there was something wrong with the file, which I've seen happen without somebody doing it on purpose (images btw). The function would return an error if it failed, but I didn't want it to output this error, but instead do something else. I believe I did something like this, if(@$variable=function($file)), to make it do what I wanted to.

The point is anyways that there are cases where it could be useful. Same where when a function if it fails could show sensitive information you don't want anyone to see.

Also, I'm not saying this guy have used GLOBAL and @ wisely.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.