Problem linking to a file when using javascript in php

facarroll

I believe this is a PHP problem rather than a javascript one, but stand to be corrected.

The following code shows two echo statements, with the second one commented out. The uncommented statement inside the javascript will not work, because while it calls up the check.php file it does not send the associated parameters correctly. I have left the commented echo in because it works perfectly.

What's wrong?

I know that javascript works client side, but the relevant php code has already run so the javascript should work.

<?php
// code associated with a database query precedes this

if ("{$row['passState']}" == 0) 
{
?>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" >
        <--
              var newwindow;
        function popup()
   {
        newwindow = window.open('check/check.php?quizTitle=".urlencode($quizTitle)."','_blank','scrollbars=yes,top=0,left=0,width='+screen.width+',height='+screen.height);
        if (window.focus) {newwindow.focus()}
    }
//-->
</script>

<?php
     echo '<form><input type="button" onClick="popup()" value="Check your answers"></form>	';

//echo "<A HREF=\"check/check.php?quizTitle=".urlencode($quizTitle)."\" onClick=\"return popup(this, 'thoughts', 'scrollbars=1'); window.moveTo(0,0); window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height-100);\">Check your answers</A>.";
    }
?>

My justification for presenting a full screen popup for students is so that they can see answers they have given in an earlier quiz. I find that if their popup is just a window over their working page, they can use the popup to just fill in their answers on a second attempt. Full screen mode will limit this.

Where your javascript code is being printed out, you are outside of PHP tags - so "urlencode" means nothing and the periods to concatenate your string also mean nothing.

You need to "re-enter PHP" so functions etc. are recognised:

var my_javascript_url = 'check/check.php?quizTitle=<?php echo urlencode($quizTitle); ?>';

I changed the code as follows as was suggested by behicthebuilder. It works well now on Chrome, Firefox and iexplore, but Safari, Netscape and Opera open the page but do not deliver any dynamic content. I'm using

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Can anyone make a suggestion?

<?php
// code associated with a database query precedes this

{
?>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" >
        <--
              var newwindow;
        function popup()
   {
        newwindow = window.open('check/check.php?quizTitle=".urlencode($quizTitle)."','_blank','scrollbars=yes,top=0,left=0,width='+screen.width+',height='+screen.height);
    }
//-->
</script>

<?php
     echo '<form><input type="button" onClick="popup()" value="Check your answers"></form>	';

//echo "<A HREF=\"check/check.php?quizTitle=".urlencode($quizTitle)."\" onClick=\"return popup(this, 'thoughts', 'scrollbars=1'); window.moveTo(0,0); window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height-100);\">Check your answers</A>.";
    }
?>

Requinix. I did this...

<?php 
   { 
?>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript
<!--
                 var newwindow;
          function popup()
   {
    newwindow = window.open('check/check.php?quizTitle=<?php echo urlencode($quizTitle); ?>','_blank','scrollbars=yes,top=0,left=0,width='+screen.width+',height='+screen.height);
   }
//-->
</script>
<?php
   }					
?>

And now I have a lovely full-screen popup window without standard controls. I have included a script to allow the user to return to the previous page.

Despite the browser problems, I think this problem is solved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.