Help with simple GMaps V3 script

Ivan Ivković

Is there a way I can do this and how much time would I need since I'm not good with javascript (more of a php guy...):

- Images upload form : User pins a place on a gmap, and it stores a variable for the form.

- The location the images were taken is processed in the photo processing and stored in db.

- When a user views the image, a gmap opens focusing on that location.

- Also, it would be great if user can select 'country' and 'city' for the image in the select box.

- I will need to search pictures by their location, like, search all pictures from Manhattan.

- Images upload form : User pins a place on a gmap, and it stores a variable for the form.

Easy. Stick a click handler on the map and make the handler place a marker.

- The location the images were taken is processed in the photo processing and stored in db.

Easy. Just another form variable.

- When a user views the image, a gmap opens focusing on that location.

Easy. The JavaScript to create the map also places a marker.

- Also, it would be great if user can select 'country' and 'city' for the image in the select box.

Google Maps has a way to look up latitude/longitude into a location. Just look up the country and city yourself.

- I will need to search pictures by their location, like, search all pictures from Manhattan.

Option A) Google Maps can tell you the "bounding box" for Manhattan; you search for all points within that box. You will get some false positives if a marker is within the box but not actually "in Manhattan".

Option B) You find a service that gives you more definitive bounds for places. Good luck.

Option C) You prompt people for the location of the image, they tell you what they feel like telling you (though you can verify it using option A), you store that answer somewhere searchable.

Option D) You search using all the location data you got from that latitude/longitude. You'd have to store a lot though: borough/city/county/state/country, for starters.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.