Suggested Start-up / Set-up for a PHP website

smerny

Any suggestions for someone wanting to set things up right from the beginning of a project?

A project that will:

• include a dozen, maybe 2 dozen dynamic web pages.
  • utilize mvc and be flexible for changes/expansion
  • utilize jquery including ajax
  • utilize html5 / css3

I'd like suggestions/advice including:

• frameworks to use
  • ide to use
  • workspace in general
  • transfer to webhost? filezilla?
  • basic "where to start" advice
  • misc. things i've missed?

i have a fair understanding of these things individually... it's just that i've never had any official training or been on a real project (just my own little solo journeys), and i'd like to start a new "learning project" just basically to learn how to do things right from the ground up.

advice/links/pointers all welcome

Frameworks: One of Proem (a framework created by our very own thorpe), Symfony2, or Zend.

IDE: If you're going all out, PhpStorm.  Best PHP IDE around, but not free.  Totally worth it, though.

Workspace: Not quite sure what you mean.

Transfer: Filezilla is fine.

Not sure what else to recommend, other than some sort of version control (git, subversion).

Do you have a linux machine?  If not, and you primarily use Windows, I recommend either dual booting or creating a virtual machine environment.  I use VirtualBox for my environment (latest version of Linux Mint).  It's not as fast as working directly on the metal, but it does the trick.

thanks

what advantages does using a linux machine for development have?

Chances are any applications you build will be deployed on Linux servers. They are far more common. Using a similar setup for development is always advised.

also, any recommendations for local server setup? XAMP fine?

XAMP, LAMP, WAMP... the only difference is the machine it's hosted on (osX, Linux, Winders).

If you don't plan on buying PHPStorm, I'd suggest BlueFish.

I'd also suggest CodeIgniter for your first framework, as you'll find a rich community and a great docs area

I would also suggest looking into html5boilerplate as a starting point, as it'll take care of all the things you had no idea you should take care of yourself (while giving you some understanding in the meanwhile).

hey thorpe, would you recommend proem as a first PHP framework at this point?

It's still in pre-alpha so definitely not. It's probably still at least 6 months away from being usable at this stage.

I would highly recommend Symfony2 as a framework.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.